A user is anyone who logs in to Salesforce. Users are employees at your company, such as sales reps, managers, and IT specialists, who need access to the company’s records.
Every user in Salesforce has a user account. The user account identifies the user, and the user account settings determine what features and records the user can access. Each user account contains at least the following:
- Email Address
- User’s First and Last Name
- Role (optional).
Guidelines for Adding Users
- Username: Each user must have a username that is unique across all Salesforce organizations (not just yours).
- Username Format: Users must have a username in the format of an email address (that is, [email protected]), but they don’t have to use a real email address. (They can use their email address if they wish as long as their email address is unique across all Salesforce orgs.)
- Email: Users can have the same email address across organizations.
- Passwords: Users must change their password the first time they log in.
- Login Link: Users can only use the login link in the sign–up email once. If a user follows the link and does not set a password, you (the admin) have to reset their password before they can log in.
You may have already added some users if you launched the Setup Wizard. However, you will probably need to add users in the future, especially as your company grows and you hire more employees.
Depending on the size of your organization or your new hire onboarding process, you may choose to add users one at a time or several at a time. You can do either in Salesforce. The maximum number of users you can add is determined by your Salesforce edition and the number of user licenses you purchase.
To add users:
- From Setup, enter Users in the Quick Find box, then select Users.
- Click New User to add a single user or click Add Multiple Users to add up to 10 users at a time.
- Enter each user’s name, email address, and a unique username in the form of an email address. By default, the username is the same as the email address, but you can overwrite this.
- Select the user license you want to associate with the users you create (the license determines which profiles are available for each user).
- Select a profile.
- Select Generate passwords and notify user via email to email a login name and temporary password to each new user.
- Click Save.
To view and manage the users in your organization, from Setup, enter Users in the Quick Find box, then select Users. The user list shows all the users in your organization. From the list, you can:
- Create one or more users.
- Reset passwords for selected users.
- View a user’s detail page by clicking the name, alias, or username.
- Edit a user’s details.
- Log in as any user if the system permission is enabled or if the user has granted you system administrator login access
This blog is very useful to learn about user creation in salesforce