Difference Between Object and Big Object
Objects are database tables that allow us to store data specific to the organization in Salesforce.
Two type of objects in Salesforce. They are.
- Standard Objects: The objects provided by salesforce.com is called standard objects. Examples of standard objects are accounts, contacts, opportunities, Leads, products, campaigns, cases, users, contracts, Report, and dashboards, etc.
- Custom Objects: The objects created by us are called custom objects. Custom objects store information that is unique and important to your organization. Custom objects are the heart of any application. Custom objects provide a structure for sharing data.
Big Objects –
A big object stores and manages massive amounts of data on the Salesforce platform. You can archive data from other objects or bring massive datasets from outside systems into a big object to get a full view of your customers. Clients and external systems use a standard set of APIs to access big object data. A big object provides consistent performance, whether you have 1 million records, 100 million, or even 1 billion.
There are two types of big objects.
- Standard big objects – Objects defined by Salesforce and included in Salesforce products. FieldHistoryArchive is a standard big object that stores data as part of the Field Audit Trail product. Standard big objects are available out of the box and cannot be customized.
- Custom big objects – New objects that you create to store information unique to your org. Custom big objects extend the functionality that Lightning Platform provides.
For example, if you’re building an app to track product inventory, create a custom big object called HistoricalInventoryLevels to track historical inventory levels for analysis and future optimizations. This implementation guide is for configuring and deploying custom big objects.
Scenario we go for big object –
- 360° view of the customer—Extend your Salesforce data model to include detailed information from loyalty programs, feeds, clicks, billing and provisioning information, and more.
- Auditing and tracking—Track and maintain a long-term view of Salesforce or product usage for analysis or compliance purposes.
- Historical archive—Maintain access to historical data for analysis or compliance purposes while optimizing the performance of your core CRM or Lightning Platform applications.
Structure of object
The Object will contain the API structure as the __c in the object.
If object name is Test it will contain Test__c.
Structure of big object
The Big object will contain the API structure as the __b in the object.
If big object name is Test it will contain Test__b.
Field type available in big object
Field type available in object
- Auto Number
- Lookup Relationship
- Master-Detail Relationship
- Roll-Up Summary
- External Lookup Relationship
- Picklist (Multi-Select)
- Text Area
- Text Area (Long)
- Text Area (Rich)
- Text (Encrypted)
Restriction and limitations of big object
|Custom Fields per Object
|Total Custom Objects